Alternative Health Insurance
According to a 2007 National Health Interview Survey, approximately 38% of people 18 and older have used some form of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM). CAM includes such things as chiropractic care, acupuncture, exercise, and homeopathic treatments. But before you jump on the CAM bandwagon, you may want to find out if the treatment is covered by your health insurance.
What types of alternative health care are covered by insurance?
If you have an injury or illness and don't want to pursue traditional medicine, find out what forms of treatment your health insurer covers. Most insurance companies have a website you can check and/or a toll-free number you can call. It seems that chiropractic care, massages, and acupuncture are usually covered, but natural remedies, healers (such as medicine men) and yoga classes aren't.
If you do find there is coverage for the treatment, also find out:
- If there is a set limit on the amount the insurance company will pay
- If there is a limit on the number of visits you can have
- If you need a referral from your primary care physician
If there is no coverage, try the following:
- Ask your insurance company if they work with any providers that offer a discount (the discount is usually between 20-30%)
- Let the provider know your insurance company won't cover the services and see if the provider will reduce the cost or set up a payment plan
- Shop around and compare costs between providers
An even easier way to make sure you're covered is by filling out our form and letting our insurance professionals get you a free quote! We can help you find alternative health insurance so you can get the services you need at an affordable cost. Give us a try today!